Saturday 5 January 2013

Night is Day: 2006-2009


(Glasgow superhero Jason Mackenzie played by Chris Summers and Caitlyn Smith played by Anna Walseth)



When I first started out on the quest to run my own TV show (i.e. be an executive producer/show runner) I was lucky enough to be part of the BBC's E-Force training programme. From there I found a competition to make a trailer for a film that didn't exist yet. I decided that I wanted to step away from the normal Scottish films and tackle the superhero genre. Being a fan of Doctor Who, Spider-Man and the like, I created "Night is Day".

I made a short film version of it after I left college, which was a great learning experience, and then in 2005 I started writing "Night is Day" as a web series. With no money and a willing cast and crew I shot 6 episodes and put them online for people to see. Propeller TV on Sky showed all 6 episodes too, which was fantastic.

So what is "Night is Day"? It follows the adventures of Jason Mackenzie (Chris Summers) a down on his luck guy in his mid-twenties who is dumped by his girlfriend and on a night out drowning his sorrows, is knocked down by a car. While recuperating he decides to change his fortune for the better, there he is contacted by a mysterious man called Ames (Alan Maclean) who tells Jason that he can change his fortune. Jason is duped and a lightning-powered demon is transferred into Jason, given him the power of foresight. Now when Jason touches anybody he gets a mind-numbing vision of their fate and must set out to save them, only with the power of lightning by his side.

And that's the basic concept of Night is Day. 13 episodes were produced in total, split over 2 seasons which you can watch here and here. There's a spin-off feature film version too. Below are some special features from the two seasons.

I'm exceptionally proud of what we achieved with no funding and I certainly learned a lot about running a show, writing and working with different actors and crew! Hopefully this will all come handy with Bloodline... 




No comments: