Tuesday 16 April 2013

One Year Later - Brotherly Bonding


ONE YEAR LATER - BROTHERLY BONDING

Mark Wood and Rhys Teare-Williams do a script readthrough 

On Saturday night we held a production meeting with some of the crew of the movie to discuss costume, hair, makeup, locations and equipment. It was great to sit down with everybody and sort out how we were going to approach the movie. This is the third project on which I've had the great honour of collaborating with them and without sounding like an "Oh yah darling", I love this team and I miss it when we're not working together. This is why I really want "One Year Later" to do well. We've raised just enough money to pay our cast and crew SOMETHING for giving up their time on the gig, and I always want to pay people. It's not that I've deliberately avoided paying people in the past, the simple matter of fact is that if I waited to get funding there would have been no other projects. Not only that but only now, years later, having worked on these projects, do I know how to go about it and thanks to crowd-funding filmmakers are in a more likely position to raise the funds to make their movies - but we're still a long way away from that, and I'm getting off point. The reason I want OYL to do well is that hopefully someone, somewhere, might see potential in the film and help us make more projects and I can bring in the same cast and crew. That's the goal anyway.

But yes, back to the readthrough...


On Sunday I went along into town to meet Rhys, who is playing David, the younger brother who is trying to propose to Katy, played by the great April Pearson, who has appeared in Skins, Casualty, Tormented and has been filming a lot of projects recently, and Mark, who plays the wise-cracking, yet supportive older brother Steven. Joined by Scott Forrest, our assistant director on the project.

We met at the Libertine in the Merchant City end of town, one of our filming locations, and we went through the script, how I'd like the actors to play certain scenes and lines, asking them for their opinions and suggestions. I filmed a few of them on my iPad and I'm really happy with how it's coming about.

The day ended with us going around George Square taking photos of the actors, as they are supposed to be super close brothers, I needed photos of them being brotherly, to put around our flat location, and for a scene at the end of the movie.

A great day for definite and tomorrow I'm off to look out for a restaurant location for our 2nd biggest scene in the short film. 

A MASSIVE thank you to my cast and my crew and my exceptional producer Claire Mcguire and assistant producer Sarah Mooney for working so tirelessly to get our locations.

And here are some more photos of the boys...

 


No comments: