Saturday 27 March 2010

Night is Day...the movie?

The entire reason for this blog was to chart my attempts of making a full length feature film. At the time it was all I ever wanted to do. However I got into this terrible habit of watching too much TV (Doctor Who, Torchwood, Chuck, House, How I Met Your Mother, Heroes etc) and decided that I wanted to be the next Russell T Davis or now, Steven Moffat (depending on what he does with Doctor Who of course), so I put all of my energies into writing the 2nd series of Night is Day, trying to make it an enjoyable programme for the sci-fi loving crowd, which I hope I've achieved, and as long as at least 10 people (who are neither cast, crew or friends of) watch it and like it, then I'll be happy.

But I know that there's a very limited chance that the BBC will look at Night is Day as a TV show and go "Wonderful! We love it! We're going to buy it, remake it and let you RUN THE SHOW!" (although that would be lovely).

Yet, I love Night is Day too much to say that after the credits roll on episode 7 of series 2 that the story is over and we won't get to see Jason fight more bad guys, or have more drama with his family, friends, loved ones, the police, Sloan or Mullan, or Mr. Philips won't come up with another evil scheme to cause havoc to the world. I just can't let go of these characters (perhaps this is some sort of addiction and I may need some help).

So I decided that the best way forward, to let Night is Day take on another medium, would be to make a feature film version. So I started writing the script in May 2009 and finished around September 2009. It's 147 pages long. It's a complete stand alone story so you shouldn't need to have seen series 1 or 2 for it to make sense, but it would help.

Since September I've been recruiting camera operators, sound recordists, directors of photography, still photographers, makeup artists, two wonderful producers, concept artists, runners and production assistants and NOW we finally have all the cast and crew! (With a few smaller parts to cast...)

We held auditions over two days in January at M8 Media Studios in Glasgow, followed by a readthrough in The Vale Bar in February and a couple of weeks ago we shot a teaser trailer in Glasgow. Filming starts in June and we will be filming at weekends until August. Once the film is finished it's off to the festivals and we will try and find a distributor or a sales agent to put it in the cinemas!

I'm eagerly awaiting www.nightisday.net to become active where I can update it on a regular basis with blogs, photos, videos and more, but until now www.sillyweefilms.co.uk/nightisdaymovie.htm and the Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=237674711930&ref=ts) will have to do.

Until then, here are all the videos so far!


Check out our first official promo video for "Night is Day - The Movie" from our two days of auditions on the 16th and 23rd of January 2010!

Official website coming soon, in the meantime check out our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=237674711930&ref=ts



The first official cast readthrough for "Night is Day - The Movie", held at The Vale Bar in Glasgow City Centre on February 22nd 2010.

This is an exciting step forward in the pre-production of our superhero film in Glasgow.

Watch a sneak peak of our readthrough and let us know what you think in the comments!

http://www.sillyweefilms.co.uk/nightisdaymovie.htm




Meeting with Lindsay and Gavin, our producers, next week all going well to lock down the schedule, discuss the fundraising party, sort out costumes, makeup, locations and hopefully announce some well known Scottish actors who are joining the film!

Spread the word - Night is Day is coming to the big screen!

No comments: